Bosch Packaging Services
«Cockpit 2020» & MS-360
KEY DATA FOR BOSCH PACKAGING SERVICES
Industry: Service and spare parts in mechanical and plant engineering, international
Employees: > 800
Branch offices: >10 Hubs and branch offices over all continents
Head office: Beringen, Switzerland
SPONSOR AND CONTEXT
Sponsor: Walter Häcki, Senior Vice President
Context: Multinational context and cultural diversity, rapid growth, global competition.
PROJECT BACKGROUND: ‘STRATEGY COCKPIT 2020’ BASED ON THE MS-360
In global terms, BOSCH Packaging Services AG (BPS) was one of the largest industry players. Even so, it faced huge competitive pressure and a critical need to establish clear water from its competitors and generate growth. BPS was a global company with numerous regional differences and challenges, on both cultural and structural levels. This underlined how crucial a shared understanding and big-picture overview was for the leadership team, as well as progress toward common strategic objectives.
In 2014, Bosch Packaging Services set out strategic goals to be achieved by 2020. Underpinning these was the company’s need to refine its self-image having evolved over time, from an entity centered on technology and production to a dynamic service provider. It was decided to focus on the following dimensions up to 2020:
- Regional focus and local sensitivity
- Attractive products
- New business models
- Service excellence
The far-flung nature of the leadership team underlined the need to keep tabs on and benchmark how the individual strategy teams were developing at all hubs. In view of the distances involved, tool-supported and remote monitoring was another must.
FRAMEWORK AND OBJECTIVES
- The goal was to develop and pilot an analytical tool with a lead time measured in weeks. Those spearheading this pilot initiative were tasked with generating insights to help round off the ‘Strategy Cockpit 2020’ end product.
- As a side-effect, the pilot results were earmarked for an initial internal strategy benchmark in 2014 as well as steering strategic development the same year.
- The respective strategy streams were made operational and measurable. To expedite the process, but keep quality intact, the BPS-specific aspects were integrated into Z-PUNKT CONSULTING’s standard MS-360 monitoring suite.
- Our rapid prototyping approach paved the way to customize after just four weeks and then launch the pilot process.
- The end findings then leveraged a further phase in which the ‘Strategy Cockpit 2020’ tool was finalized and configured for remote accessibility in line with our MS-360 standards.
- As of 2015, our customized MS-360 was licensed to Bosch Packaging Services for regular (twice-yearly) measurement iterations.