EWZ - E-WERK ZÜRICH
360° Analysis & Change
KEY DATA FOR EWZ
Industry: Production and trading in energy, network operators, public services, national and international
Employees: > 1,000
Head office: Zurich, Switzerland
SPONSOR AND CONTEXT
Sponsor: Marcel Frey, Director
Context: Tension between geopolitical and macroeconomic pressures to transform, concurrent market pressure and public responsibility brought to bear, internal tension in the leadership area.
TOPICS AND METHODS
- 360-degree organizational analysis, guided interviews.
- Organizational benchmarking and recommendations for action, including a roadmap.
- Participatory processes, change management, leadership and organizational development.
As an energy services provider having broken new ground in terms of its ecological and energy efficiency credentials, ewz (the electricity provider for Zurich City) has had to successfully and repeatedly assert its presence in the volatile energy market. Some employees found themselves unable to keep pace with the constant changes and internal innovations, which left them insecure. This spawned growing tensions. When an internal incident saw things escalate, the company’s management and corporate culture were publicly called into question.
FRAMEWORK AND OBJECTIVES
- The task involved restoring the perception of security, transparency and a normal work rhythm at ewz within a limited time. In other words, the management had to reassert itself and get back in the “driver’s seat.”
- Accordingly, the top priority was to clarify the dynamics emanating from internal factions with different interests, make them transparent and specifically mitigate key areas of tension with tactical measures.
- The next step involved undertaking an in-depth situational analysis of the operating culture at ewz. This would involve highlighting the key risks and opportunities, as well as general strengths and weaknesses related to operational culture.
- Over six weeks or so, Z-PUNKT CONSULTING engaged in dialog with over 50 employees from all levels and departments of ewz. The interviews identified the opinions, fears, and hopes of the various stakeholders, which were then processed into level-appropriate reports.
- Recommendations for action were generated for the following hot spots:
- Change management
- Dialog Culture
- Leadership Culture
- Organizational Culture
- In a participatory process, various workshops were held to discuss and process level-specific reports, including corresponding recommendations for action, up to mid-management level.