Listen to their Director:
Marcel Frei, Director ewz
As a clear leader in ecology and efficiency in the energy industry, ewz has to continuously stay ahead in the constantly changing energy market. Some employees could not understand the constant external and internal changes and felt insecure, which increasingly led to tensions. An internal event escalated the situation, after which the management and workplace culture of ewz were publicly scrutinized.
In this complicated situation we turned to Z-PUNKT CONSULTING for support. They conducted a neutral and objective but thorough situational and organizational analysis of all sensitivities in our organization by interviewing about 50 employees of all hierarchy levels and departments. Within a short amount of time, the Z-PUNKT consultants identified various areas where interventions were needed. Instrumental to their success was their holistic assessment of the situation, the participative component and the speed at which they conducted their initial investigation and follow-up analyses. After just four months, the last workshop was held at which, together with our management, the final results were discussed and the areas that needed actions identified. In the meantime, things have calmed down and we were able to pick up on our normal Change-Management-Plan again. We are now focusing – collectively strengthened – on the challenges the future holds.
Basic Info ewz
Industry: Energy, Public Services, National / International
Employees: ca. 1176
Headquarters: Zürich, Switzerland
Topics and Methods: Organizational Analysis, Organizational Development, Code of Practice Interviews, Participative Processes, Recommending Courses of Action, Change Management, Leadership
Context and Challenge: Tension between Geopolitical and Macro-economical Transformations, Coincidence of Market Pressure and Public Responsibility
As a clear leader in ecology and efficiency in the energy industry, ewz (Zurich Municipal Electric Utility) has to continuously stay ahead in the constantly changing energy market. Some employees could not understand the constant external and internal changes and felt insecure, which increasingly led to tensions. An internal event escalated the situation, after which the management and workplace culture of ewz were publicly scrutinized.
Framework and Goals
- Within a short amount of time, felt safety, transparency and a normal work rhythm needed to be reestablished: The management team needed to get back into the ‘driver’s seat’.
- Hence, the primary goal was to make the dynamics that originated in various, internal groups with different interests comprehensible and transparent. At the same time, the most pressing areas of conflict needed to be addressed with tactical countermeasures.
- Further, a well-founded situational analysis of the workplace culture was conducted and highlighted its central risks and possibilities, as well as general strengths and weaknesses.
- Over the course of about 6 weeks, Z-PUNKT CONSULTING conducted around 50 interviews with employees of all hierarchy levels. These interviews helped identify the opinions, fears and hopes of various stakeholders. The results were adequately presented for different levels of management.
- For the following focus points, recommended courses of action were generated:
– Change Management
– Dialog Culture
– Leadership Culture
– Organizational Culture
- The reports, including the recommended courses of action, were collaboratively discussed and worked through in various workshops, up to mid-management levels.